Wednesday, July 1, 2015

A Surrealism Experience

As the burning sun and the endless Madridian streets were trying to steal my energy, I found new sources of inspiration and I am yet restored. It all started at Cafe de Oriente which lies in the shadow of the colossal  Palacio de Real. I sat outside basking in the sun after 3 days of endless wandering and sipped on my cafe con leche. My body pleaded for rest, but mind refused to grant its request. Using a tortilla (Spanish Omelet) as fuel, I strolled the Jardines de Sabatine and felt able to ponder life's biggest questions like why Europeans don't regularly eat Peanut Butter. This stroll turned into a certifiable hike as I made a journey all the way to the Gran Via. And as I silently walked among the crowds I realized how holistically regenerative it is to be a stranger in a strange land. I blended in with the locals and tourists alike with nothing to say partially because I don't exactly have a grasp on the Spanish language and partially because there was no need to. I was perfectly able to take in the beauty of Spain and enjoy my freedom. No responsibilities, no smartphone, no school books to study, no car to get stuck in traffic, no distracting voices, and only my thoughts among the soft hum of small fuel-efficient European cars, lively street performers, and a few thousand Spaniards wandering the same as me.

Moreover, today I traveled to the Reine de Soffia which is the modern art counterpart to the classical Prado. Though I don't much understand terms like impressionism, surrealism, (post)modernism, cubism, etc...., I nonetheless was able to enjoy the beauty of works by Dali and Picasso. Dali's paintings so real, they could be confused for high-def photographs, and Picasso's works so diverse and rich, one could spend a whole day simply gazing, jaw dropped, at Guernica. My trip to this museum revealed to me the darker aspects of Spain, the toil, plunder, and strife. More importantly, artists have used the great misfortune that accompanies every civilization to foster a contagious passion for pushing the boundaries of perception. Though I may not understand it completely, I understand passion and the desire to always see things differently.

But I digress. I close by saying that if anyone should ever find themselves in the Golden Triangle of Madrid, I highly recommend the boccadillo de calamares from El Brillante. It's muy buenisima.

No comments:

Post a Comment