Thursday, July 23, 2015

Vienna waits for you...

They say about travelling you have to lose yourself to be found and such is the case with venice. The streets of this sinking city form a natural corn maze  and are virtually unnavigable. Despite this unpleasant fact, we saw this beautiful Renaissance city. We had pizza along the grand canal upon arrival then wandered until we found San Marco square. I wanted to roar just like Saint Marks lion, the symbol of venice when I saw it. The beautiful square is easily the most picturesque in italy due to its grand watchtower and canal backdrop. After saying hello to the best fed pigeons in the world, I began to walk the streets. I saw the weaving water roads and the gondola traffic, I heard sweet music playing In every corridor, I smelled the raw fish at the rialto market and soaked it all in. I passed endless street vendore selling venetian fabrics, drapes, notebooks, quills, masquarade masks, and glass. I also passed the finest italian brands like gucci, and prada. Venice is very appripriately given its high tourist population is bursting with places to shop and eat. Although much of venetian culture is overlooked this way (simply shopping), just to walk around the city is enough.

Being exhausted from the heat not much could be accomplished this day anyway. I sat multiple times at cafe lavena for the caffe freddo and used this day to relax. When the outdoor band played La Vie En Rose I knew this was the right decision. I stopped in one of the numerous churches to say a prayer as this practice always relaxes me. Then, as the evening progressed we met with Alvaro's friend Marco and hit the streets once more. We stopped for more pizza, which puts our American stuff to shame, and made it to the train station.

Now after this day of rest, I am ready for vienna and the last leg of this trip. I will be singing Billy Joel the whole way there and pray that his words were true.

We have seen the south and now head north. I am becoming more than what I have ever been before. My core reality is changing and I couldn't be happier. I could bear any backpack load, navigate any street, eat any food. Live any life.

No comments:

Post a Comment