Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Feels Like Home

With only a week and a half to go before the epic final week of travelling around Europe and with only days left before the world-renowned running of the bulls in Pamplona, it became necessary to take a day to map out how the rest of our time will be utilized. However, the idleness of laying in my bed and making reservations on my computer got to me and as any idleness usually does.

I quickly jotted down all relevant attractions that must be seen before departing Madrid and ensured all post Madrid travel plans were in check. We would leave for San Fermin (Pamplona) on Saturday morning giving us two days to see both Goya's fresco in Ermita de San Antonio de la Florida and Museo el Toro. The following week contained a day trip to El Escorial and  a visitation of Basilica de San Francisco el Grande coupled with some more of Madrid's most famous eateries. Plans set, I grabbed my pocket Spanish phrasebook and dashed out the residence.

A few short metro stops later, I found myself in Malasana, the hipster den of Madrid. I felt like I was back home in downtown Clark Summit as I gazed at its local, all natural shops and its chic crowd of young people. I ducked and dived down one-way streets and alleyways until I came upon Toma Cafe. This small coffee shop transported me back to America's organic coffee movement and I fit right in with the crunchy granola crowd. I jumped in line and shared nice coffee talk with an aussie who made me the best flat white I have ever had and the best coffee I have yet had in Madrid. To be honest it rivals most I have tasted at home. I couldn't resist going back up for another. The sweet caffeine of Central America surged through my veins and  I zipped back through the streets after thanking the baristas for making me feel at home.

This charge was exactly what I needed as now I have a fueling station for the rest of my Madridian adventures and boy am I going to need it. As time becomes shorter, I become restless, afraid to miss something. Time to drop it into fifth and keep trucking through.

Shout out to all my all caffeine addicts out there and put Toma Cafe on your list......







No comments:

Post a Comment