Saturday, July 25, 2015

Good Night and Good Luck

As the sun rose in Paris, I reflected on my trip. I can't believe I was saying goodbye. 1 month ago I entered this new continent and here I stood 5 countries and 8 cities later a changed man.

Before the ultimate reflection let me recount my past 48 hours. Of all the cities along our route, I believed Paris would be grandest. I always dreamed of France. Whether it be because of the cooking, the language, the culture, or the nostalgia and romance associated with the country is beyond me, but I nonetheless dreamed of it. So, upon arrival, I took off like a lighting bolt, fearing that my time in europe was running short. I sprinted to the hostel, dropped off my bags and told my companions to meet me for dinner at Le Petit Cler at 21:00. Out on the street alone, I was in heaven as Montmarte reminded me of a European New York with its diversity and energy. My first task was the Eifel Tower, I needed to see it. I went straight for the river Seine and took a right. This journey would have taken but 15 minutes by rail but I got drunk off the hour plus long walk along the river. I firmly believe that the best way to see a city is on the ground and after this walk, I stand by this judgment. Along the way I saw the grand cathedral Notre Dame and saw all the youths of paris crowded along the banks of the river. I saw parks and skateboarders, little dive bakeries, and street vendors selling the infamous one dollar Eifel tower statuettes. When I caught a glimpse of the tower over the tops of buildings, I began running scratch that sprinting. As fast I could I "excuse-moi"-ed my way through the streets and lay at the feet of the grand tower, on my knees, I felt complete. I had come full circle. From this point on, the trip took on a lighter note, I wanted to leave center city Madrid, see Europe and end at the Eifel tower in one week and I had done it.

Completely fulfilled, I met alvaro and kristy for dinner and we had a fine meal. Roasted chicken, baked potato, Sour cream, curry, bread, a salad with French dressing, and dessert all sat in the belly well. We thanked our waiter, left an uncharacteristically high tip for Europe and were on our way back to the tower where we sat in awe among the crowds for an hour. Once the lines faded, we went into the great structure. I raced alvaro up the stairs and hands on my knees catching my breath I looked up and beheld Paris. My city. I only wish there were couches to catch me. I only wish I never had to go back down.

Another race down the stairs and we were off to the jazz club in the latin quarter. A low key club, we snapped our fingers to the beat of Nat King and Coltrane before going back to the street for a new adventure. Outside another club we met some locals and tourists hanging out. They invited us to chill down by the seine and looking for the authentic experience we could not say no. I shared words with a Moroccan, a dane, a parisian, and a Saudi about love, life, and the pursuit of happiness while dangling my foot above the mighty river. I caught the metro home, tomorrow would be an even grander day.

Up bright and early I woke up my whole dorm and sprinted out the door. I messaged the guys to meet me at the Louvre in a few hours and went to find some croissants. I believe I found the best in Paris. I wandered down an alley in a side street to a cafe. I sat down and carefully articulated my desire for a croissant and a cappucino to the parisian who couldn't speak a lick of English. I enjoyed the soft, flaky, buttery piece of perfection and it's caffeinated counterpart so much I had another round and once again tipped the man more than expected for reasons I don't think he understood. Off to the meet the guys I stopped at a bakery and accomplished my dream of eating a whole french baguette as I walked through town. It needed no butter, oil, cheese, or meat inside. Complete deliciousness in and of itself.

Waiting in line at the louvre, I assumed this would steal much of our time. Fortunately, fate was on our side and a woman approached my sector of the line saying she had two extra tickets. I reached my long arms over the other piranhas and paid the women. We were in the louvre.

We visited all of the masterpieces of this tremendous museum. The ancient Venus de Milo and Winged victory of Samothrace were especially enjoyable as their antiquity was astonishing. Just as when I was in Rome, I couldn't even comprehend their beauty and their history. A few masterpieces later, I found her, the infamous lady, Ms. Lisa. She is tiny and as emotionless as she is rumored to be. I quick asserted myself to the front of the line once again using my God-given lengthy extremities to my advantage to snap a quick photo. She gave me that smirk, said thanks for visiting and told me to move along cause no one could see her over me. I agreed and finished the louvre in perfect time to meet alvaro and go to lunch. Nestled just off Boulevard Saint-Germain a peaceful cafe fed us proper. I tried escargot, had more bread and devoured flank steak. I realized that I was eating no longer out of hunger but out of gluttony, I was unashamed. We went and walked the historic shopping Boulevard and I dreamt of the day that I would be able to actually purchase some of the street's wares. Stopping at the top of the street for more fuel, we decided crepes would be nice. We found our way back to the latin quarter and ordered a creperie's best from an alley-side window. Ham, egg, and cheese for salty then Nutella and banana for sweet. The food coma was worth it.

With the hours passing quick and fatigue setting in, alvaro and kristy split back to the hostel for a nap as I decided to make the two hour walk to the arc de triomphe, where alvaro would meet me via the metro after his nap. I walked in silent reflection, browsing various stores and bakeries, wondering what this trip taught me. I ducked into a sweet shop and had a 20 euro cream puff to help with said reflection. As I bit into the soft, whipped baked good, I decided that this trip was partly about decompression. So much western stress had built up inside of me that I didn't even realize I was about to blow. My biggest decision this night was whether or not to get a cream puff or an eclair, an enviable position for any type A overachiever.

I finished my puff, met alvaro and we walked the streets until the early morning hours, both of us afraid to say goodbye.

The flight to madrid passed quickly as did the trip to our residence then back to the airport. My time in Europe was over. From the streets of san fermin to the beaches of northern spain and the deserts of madrid, from the chaotic streets of italy to the coffeehouses of vienna, and from the gothic chapels of germany to the lawn of the Eifel Tower,  I experienced it all and the only thing left to do was go home.

I wish I had a great philosophic lesson to bestow upon the readers of this blog, but I don't think I do. The worst part is is that that's okay. Travelling is for the traveller, another realm of consciousness opens up inside of you and life becomes easier and more clear. After this travel, I know more about myself than I could have ever learned from reading a book or taking a test. I know that I contain infinite possibilities. I am an atom bomb. If you need me or have any questions, you can meet me on the road looking for my next adventure under the sun. Good night and good luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment