Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Real Madrid

My first weekend in Madrid consisted of tourism and exploration but under no circumstances could an American abroad absorb the full culture of another country without some help. Over the past 36 hours I was blessed with the opportunity to experience Madrid as the locals do.

Starting with my new job, i'm working in a large corporation in Spain specializing in food services. After some trouble with translation, we found someone who knew English well enough to brief us not only on our new jobs as retail analysts but also on life in Madrid. They told us where to eat, shop, and hang out. We came to understand that corporate Spain operates much like corporate America and that hard work is an integral part of the modern Spanish framework. That being said, Spaniards are particularly laid back and easy to deal with. They ameliorated any concerns over working in a foreign country and immediately made us feel part of their family. They say eastern civilization values collectivism and western " values individualism. I believe Spain is a crossroads of this theory. Their individualism shines through but is no less apparent to their high valuation of relationships. This model for civilization is enviable.

Moreover, you can't have business without pleasure. And after a long day of orientation at the office, I met up with a local Madridian whom speaks English very well. We met through a mutual friend who recently studied abroad and agreed to meet up with me; boy did he show me a good time.

He let me run with his mates and we toured Madrid like no tourist could and had a lively night of Tapas in City Centre. He answered all of my questions about Madrid such as what locals are like (Spaniards are very lively conversationists with a way making you feel just as excited as them)and what big differences Spain has with America  (they don't have peanut butter or walmart). I then answered his questions about America (Yes, we are very self-confident and borderline pompous, but we also dream big and shoot for the moon, literally).

I long to bring the hospitality of my new friend back to America with me and greet every foreigner with a smile (and a big mac and a gun). I wish I could dine by the gran via every night and watch the city come alive. I pine to have every American taste the splendor encapsulated within a fine carne empanada.

In the midst of this chronic longing, I am reminded of my future. Where will I go and what will I do after Madrid? And to answer these questions I will use the word serendipity or a fortunate happenstance. Such is my time in Madrid and such I believe will be my life. So many events that almost didn't happen yet led to immense happiness for me. I plan to continue trusting this process and sail with the winds of adventure from Waverly to Madrid and back again, stopping plenty of times along the way to find more Gran Vias, more friends like Alvaro, and more Carne Empanadas.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to hear that you are making this experience one to remember! Spain (and Europe in general) will change your life as Singapore did mine. I'm sure of it. Don't miss out on anything while you're there; if you want to do something, do it. You'll regret it if you don't. I can't wait to read more about your adventures! I am SO proud of you! Salud!

    ReplyDelete