Saturday, June 27, 2015

Suspended in Flight

The flight is long over and the veil of jetlag fallen, but my flight continues. I remain supensed fueled by rich history and culture. The streets of Madrid are simply intoxicating.

What does not seem real may just be a dream come true. One can only read of the wonders of visiting Europe's great cities but to be here conjures up feelings that words cannot express. Everywhere you turn a different fountain, statue, building, restaurant, each with their own story.

Today we hoofed it for 8 hours and got wrapped up in downtown madrid. We saw the Plaza de Espana complete with Don Quixote's statue, and we saw Plaza Mayor with it's street performers and lively crowds, we tried tapas and I enjoyed a bowl of cold tomato soup with parmesan ice cream as well as a potato egg and cheese tortilla, we saw the magnificence of the Golden Triangle of Madrid's museums including the Prado which we plan to visit tomorrow. We soaked it all in. Along the way we found the most affable of Spaniards to help guide us along and despite logistical travel issues, our first day was a resounding success.

As I lay in my bed tonight breathing in the warm spanish air I reflect on what made all this bliss possible and feel tremendously grateful for those that helped get me here. Their names too numerous to mention but all in my prayers as I wish for a litany of more incredible days of culture absorbtion. Despite the mental clarity attained from this day, I will expound on my experiences at a later date as I'm tired and unable to express my joy completely.

Until then let it be known that it is what they say it is. Travel is the most potent drug a human can take. It excites and relaxes simultaneously. It makes you feel small in a big world yet intimately connected to all of humanity. Hallelujah and Adios

3 comments:

  1. There names

    **their
    ***there are

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you arrived safely and that you are off to an amazing beginning to your European adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it safely!! Enjoy and take it all in!! Can't wait to read all about it.

    ReplyDelete